Well if you live in the Kansas City area and you like food, then you really ought to come on down to the American Royal Barbecue. We’ve got some great cooks who are going to be showing the public how to cook some award-winning dishes in their own kitchens. This is a family-friendly event, so bring your children or borrow your neighbor’s children.
Yes, many of you will be stumbling around in the dark on Friday night. We all know that’s when the party is. But there is a softer side to the Royal that I think you may be missing out on.
At least come and feed your hangover, k?
So, once you are there, you’re going to want to find the Cooking Demo in Wagstaff Theatre. Where is that? Find the big American Royal building. Walk inside. Look for signs for “Cooking Demo” or “Wagstaff Theatre.” If you get to the “Sauce Expo,” you’ve gone too far.
Wanna know who is cooking?
- 11 a.m. Karen Watts, caterer and food stylist sponsored by The Roasterie (Look, I hear she’s making cookies with coffee. That sounds worth getting up early to me.)
- 12 p.m. Steve Venne, Executive Chef Director for the International Culinary Program at The Art Institutes International (Rumor has it, he’s making some side dishes that will knock your socks off.)
- 1 p.m. Jasper of Jasper’s Italian Restaurant (Holy memories, I think I went to prom there or something, but it’s still one of KC’s favorite Italian hot spots. Word is, he’s making cheese. Yup. Cheese. mmmmmmmm.)
- 2 p.m. KC Masterpiece (TBD what they are making, but it’s gotta be good, right?)
- 3 p.m. Dida from Mama Dida Sauce Co. (TBD, but we are excited to see what Dida’s got cooking!)
Each of our cooks will have samples on hand. (It’s like Costco on a Sunday, but you don’t have to push a heavy cart.) Come for one, or all four. Make sure you say hello to me. And please, please spread the word.
Special thanks this year to the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store which provided a kitchen for us to use year after year. We can’t thank them enough for their generosity which will allow us to continue to educate on food and agriculture for years to come.